Systems Testing and Quality Assurance Techniques
Checklist: Numeric Entry
The following edits, questions, and checks should be considered for all
|Edit / Question||Example|
|Maximum Value & Minimum Value||
|Delta – Smallest increment used by system||
|Spaces Before or After Entry||
|Match other formats||
|Will conversion take place?|
|Source of Value||
|Can value be computed?|
|Balancing instructions||Audit Issues|
|Is a check digit required?||Check digit computation|
|Does field have other use?||
Note the edits that are performed by the programming language, tests that
should be handled during unit testing, and checks that should be done via
integration or system testing.
- Will boundaries and limits change over time?
- Are they influenced by something else?
- Will field accept operators? +, -, /, *, !, **, ^, %
- Will the value change format?
64 bit to 16 bit
Character to numeric
Display to packed
Display to scientific notation
Display to words
- Will value move across platforms?
- Why is the field being treated as numeric?
- Will voice recognition be necessary?